On 13-Mar-2000 Lane Lester wrote:
> As I described in another thread, I lost access to Mandrake by some of my
> fiddling.
> As a "safety net" I've installed a second Mandrake on my computer, and I'd
> like to have access to it from lilo. The second install has /boot in a
> separate partition at hda6 and the rest of the filesystem at hda7. I added
> the following to fstab:
> /dev/hda6 /mnt/mandrake2boot ext2 defaults 0 0
> /dev/hda7 /mnt/mandrake2 ext2 defaults 0 0
>
> I also added the following stanza to lilo.conf:
> image = /mnt/mandrake2boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-15mdk
>   label = m2
>   vga = normal
>   append = "mem=124M"
>   root = /dev/hdb7
>   read-only
>
> But I get a kernel panic when I try to boot to this new Mandrake. Do you see
> a problem with the above?

One? ;-)

1) You try to boot a kernel via a partition you don't mount (/dev/hda6)

2) You point to an image relating to *the currently running* system. Even if
you manage to mount /dev/hda6 as root, you'll get a kernel panic. Why? Because
LiLo looks for an image on /mnt/mandrake2boot... etc and there will be none,
since for the system you now try to start, the image is in /mandrake2boot...
for this is the root system you've specified. (Linux is fun, isn't it? ;-)

3) The values are wrong (not 0 0 but 1 1 for boot and 1 2 for data)

4) Sorry, but your lilo.conf entry doesn't make any sense at all to me: 'root'
must point to the partition where the kernel is located. This is /dev/hda6 not
/dev/hdb7

5) I further assume you forgot to rerun
lilo
after making changes to lilo.conf, because LiLo would have refused this
configuration.

So how to do it? I haven't tried it myself but maybe you find something
following these jots (I advise you to have a working boot diskette at hand...):

- every system needs a working LiLo of its own.

- Since there can only be one version of LiLo in the Master Boot Record, you
have to write the second to a diskette or the master sector of the root device.
You can't boot the second system, but that's no prob, use

chroot /mnt

This does a 'change root', so that /mnt is now /. Run 'mkbootdisk' (you'll need
a floppy). This diskette will allow you to boot the second system. Type 'exit'
to get out of chroot mode.

- If you install the second lilo-boot sector into the master sector of the root
partition, you can start the second system via the first LiLo.
Don't use the 'image' flag but the 'other' flag and point it to the partition
where the second LiLo is installed to.

Let me know if you get it worked out!!

Happy playing ;-)

tom

(assuming you already have a lilo.conf for the second system

--
"No fun, no gain"
Thomas 'tom' Berger, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (home), [EMAIL PROTECTED] (work)