James wrote:

> I am using Mandrake 6.1 and when I try to use "startx" it tries to start
> the X windows.. but crashes and gives me the message:
>
> Fatal server error:
> Cannot open mouse (no such device)
>
> I have been using Xwindows just fine for the last few days.. suddenly it
> can't see the mouse?  What might be wrong?
>
> Thanks.
>
> james

Have you looked in your /etc/X11/XF86Config file, at the Pointer section
- It should look something like this:

        Section "Pointer"
           Protocol        "MouseManPlusPS/2"
           Device          "/dev/psaux"
           BaudRate        1200
           ZAxisMapping 4 5
        EndSection

Are your values still valid for your hardware?  (ZAxisMapping only if
wheel btw) Is your device still in the /dev directory?  Do you have a
mouse in console mode?

Running XF86Setup (as root) might help restore this file if you don't
want to do it manually.  Maybe make a backup (cp XF86Config
XF86Config.backup) too before doing anything.