"Tony Velez - Charter @ Home" wrote:

> I just got a Mandrake Deluxe Linux OS ver 6.0 and I am trying to load it on
> a new hard drive but I keep getting a boot failure error from the Linux boot
> diskette. Does this mean the boot diskette is bad and if so how do I get a
> new one.
>
> Thanks for any help you can give me.
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Yes it's probably bad

RTFM for details, but here's the jist of it: there's a program called
rawrite on the cd and an image file of a boot disk.  I know for a facrt
there's at least a readme if you casnt find the manual.

Funny story when I bought 6.0:  The packing list said there was supposed
to be a boot disk, and I didn't get one.  It was shoortly before the
store closed so I rushed back to exchange it.  I decided to make sure
the next one I grabbed had the disk with it...none in the stock did, and
I _really_ pissed off best buy security while checking every one.  I
then decided to take one home anyway figuring I could find a way to
install.  I felt mighty stupid after I saw the boot disk image!  On
second thought, I think this was redhat 5.0 because I had windows on
that computer for a short time before I got redhat 5.0.

(the only reason I had windows on it was because it was on it when it
got passed down to me, and the only linux I had was an archaic one on my
486 with no install disks.  Other than that Ive been M$ free since
93/94, until I recently installed vmware)  Once you start using linux
it's hard to go back to windows!  I aways have this small partition free
where I plan on installing windows but never get around to it...

~Jeremy