As ROOT have you tried "xf86config" <---w/o quotes, it's a text setup but you
should have very good knowledge of your hardware, vid card and monitor in
particular.  When you finally get the settings you want ie:preference of
resolutions edited to the FIRST of each color depth setting
default settings are...
1: 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 8Bit
2: 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 16Bit
3: 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 24Bit
4: 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 32Bit
5: Change settings
use the "Change setting" to edit your default resolution
eg:  1: 1024x768, 800x600 8Bit

then goto /etc/X11/xdm/xservers
add a "-bpp 24"  <---with this spacing and your color depth
to line "0 local /usr/X11RS/bin/X "
so that it looks like this one
:0 local /usr/X11RS/bin/X -bpp 24

HTH