Well, you might want to try using another Distro.
I personally and from a professional point of view
like SuSE Linux very much. At work we use their
distros on several machines (Mail, DNS, etc.).
The advantage of SuSE (current release: SuSE Linux 6.3,
SuSE Linux 6.4 is to be released real soon) is that
they pack an incredible lot of software on their CD's
and they usually also always include the newest
stable and "hacker" kernels.  So if you really HAVE TO
use your ISDN adapter via USB, you should give SuSE a try.
Chances are big, that if there was any advancement in
USB support SuSE has included the appropriate kernel
onto their CD's, so all you needed to do is to recompile
the kernel and have USB support included.
But be warned, though: SuSE is great if you know what
you are doing, but Newbies will find it rather
unfriendly or hard to understand, IMO. From a Newbie POV
Mandrake is far better suited.

DJ.