It is recommended to create a swap partition of a size that's about twice the amount
of physical ram in your system. Therefore, if you have 128 meg of ram, make the
swap file 250 meg. That is what is recommended.

As for why Linux needs a swap file with 128 meg of ram? I'm asking the same
question. LOL

Spektyr

Sven Vermeulen wrote:

hello, Is it necessary / useful to use a swap partition with 128 meg RAM and a PIII 667MHz to run Linux mandrake 7.0? I didn't found information in the installation guide or howtos.If so, how big should this swap partition be....128 meg? bye,Sven.