Uhhm...

I'd say there's something wrong there...

First of all, let me state that seti@home, even if it consumes all available
CPU, isn't neccessarily a drag on the system. I run 2 seti@homes myself on a
dual celeron (because one wouldn't grab all available CPU-time since it's not
written multithreaded) and I don't even feel it. That's because seti plays nice
to other apps.

However, if you have a slow computer, it might tie up the processor too much,
giving you a somewhat sluggish response. So in fact it depends on what computer
you're using.

But... The stuff that worries me is: "seti@home is taking up about 27% of my
CPU"... Seti takes all the CPU it can get, meaning that there's only 27% free
for seti to grab.

Where's the other 73% going into? I think _that_ should be your main concern,
and not the seti@home app. If you can eliminate something in the 73%
CPU-consumption slice, drastically cutting that one down, and your PC is still
slow, try loosing seti@home.

ps: to make sure seti plays as nice as possible to other apps, start it with the
"-nice 19" option. The highter the number of "niceness", the nicer it'll play to
other apps. "Niceness" can range from -20 (maximum priority) to 19 (real nice to
other apps).

--

Rial Juan                        <http://nighty.ulyssis.org>
                e-mail:              [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The little critters in nature; they don't know they're ugly.
That's very funny... A fly marying a bumble-bee...

Sign the petition at http://www.libranet.com/petition.html
Help bring us more Linux Drivers