At 01:33 PM 3/27/00 -0800, Sevatio Octavio wrote:

You don't have to mount an IDE tape drive.  As long as your system recognizes the tape drive you can just run "taper -T ide".

Ok, that worked and it recognized the tape drive.  Is there any
better tape backup software for Linux?

Taper crapped out on me several times on a small backup. I tried
setting the preferences, but found it difficult at best, to ascertain
which were the default values and which were the altered values. It
does not provide a whole lot of useful information on which column
is which, ie. which are the default and which are the altered, when
you use the cursor keys to highlight a column. Hitting the left/right
cursor keys only does a screen anomaly which throws characters
out of the field, at least on _my_ system (Kde desktop, 800 x 600)

For example -

Have fast fsf -  no      yes
Can seek      -  no      yes
Can fsr          -  no      yes

After an error-ridden attempt at a backup supposedly "succeeded",
the restore module would not identify the backup as a taper archive.

Any suggestions on better tape backup software that anyone else
is using?

Regards and thanks,

Don

---

"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God" - Thomas Jefferson