Yup! I must have.  If your upgrading your monitor to a newer one, I would
imagine that it would be able to handle your current resolution.  Then, once
you got into KDE you could run drakconf adjust to your new monitor and
different resolution.  If the monitor or resolution you selected wasn't right,
you could use the "ctrl-alt-backspace" to return to KDE and try again.  I
learnt the hard way.  When I tried to change my monitor and/or resolution to
something else and either my monitor and/or video card didn't like it; my
screen would go completely black and sometimes my monitor would just go to
sleep.  Before I found out about using "ctrl-alt-backspace", I would restart
my computer because I thought at that point that I had too.  But, linux does
have some nice safe guards.

Bruce :-)