edward tharp wrote:

> just a thought... if you only need the webserver....why run x at all?

Christopher

I agree with Edward, almost said so when you first posted this.  But, I
have had a creative thought about this.  Just for fun, why not try the
xvfb (X virtual Frame Buffer) server. Don't set init to 5 until you are
sure what startx will do.  Install vncserver (on disk most likely) and
svncviewer.  Once you have the xvfb server tested you can run kdm and
login as either root or user to start vncserver -query localhost.  Now
you should be able to run svncviewer localhost:1 (or whatever display
number comes up) to see it locally, or sit down at your mac/windoze/etc
workstation and run your X from across the room.  Turn your computor
off, go home and reconnect to exact same screen you left, pick up in mid
word. FUN FUN FUN eh?