Looks like you dont' have all the libraries installed. Go to /usr/include and
see if stdio.h is there. If it's not, then you'll need to download an RPM of
whatever header files you need, like
http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/mandrake/cooker/cooker/Mandrake/RPMS/glibc-devel-2.1.3-2mdk.i586.html

for stdio.h.

But from what it sounds like, this is a newly installed system so to save you
the headache of later compiles, you may want to consider reinstalling and this
time select all the packages that have ANYTHING to do with programming and/or
libraries.
Hmm, reading through the installation procedure of Mandrake 7, looks like the
installation that you do ("recommended") doesn't let you choose what packages
you install. In that case, you can either look up each libary you're missing (I
use http://google.com/linux to search for the file and see what rpm file it is
in, and then use rpmfind.net to download it from) or else do a "Custom"
installation, which you probally wouldn't want to do since you're a newbie.
Your choice though.

And if any Mandrake peoples are reading this, you guys really need to make the
installation of all the libraries standard for all installations. It's a huge
hassle to go track down everything if you don't have it, and newbies don't
relieze that they'll need all those libraries (since they don't program) until
they start compiling stuff from source.