Lane....I've been silently following the expert thread you speak
of.  It was my impression that you'd been hacking (I believe you
called it customizing) the init files a bit before your problem
occurred and this was the probable root cause of your problem.

Anyway, I decided to try changing default runlevels on my system
as it has been booting to runlevel 5 since I originally
installed 7.0 and chose to boot straight to X during the
install.  So I edited my /etc/inittab default line from
'id:5:initdefault' to 'id:3:initdefault' and rebooted.  I came
up in console mode signed in, issued a startx, and am now back
in KDE writing this reply.

Alan