Sorry if this is a double post but the original message had
deleted my potion of the text.

I have encountered the same problem trying to set up my
home network with a couple of winblows98 boxes.  In the
end I had to delete the smb.comf file (after making a backup :)  and creating a very
basic file.  At this point I
went on the net for some literature on this subject.  The
best book I found was called Using Samba by Robert Eckstein, David Collier-Brown, and
Peter Kelly.

You can order or read "Online" @

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/index.html

After I found this all I had to do was follow the steps chapter by chapter right down
to how to configure my Win boxes.

I hope this helps you as much as it helped me!

Mike

> --------------955372097567_5077670671105383246
>
> > I sent this a bit earlier, but it didn't seem to go thru - forgive if it's a
> > double post.
> >
> > I have a working public share, and Windows can see my private shares, but
> > whenever I try to log into them it always gives an invalid password error.
> >
> > I have no idea what to do.
> >
> > I've done the trblshooting steps from
> >
> > http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/DIAGNOSIS.html
> >
> > and can get thru to 9.  When I run 'net use x: \\tymanthius\debsdir' it does
> > ask for a psswd, but always tells me it's the wrong one.
> >
> > I am using ip masq'ing, and one of the things I've noticed is that in the ip
> > reporting string both machines return the same ip.
> >
> > I can mount the shares from the windows machine ok (exept printing - I'll work
> > on that later, unless someone thinks it's related).
> >
> > thanks!!
> >

> > Ty C. Mixon
> > F.T.C. Enterprises
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]