Excuse Me, I am for ONE of the very inexperienced users of either Windows
or Linux, I do not think there are any here that are any newer at either
one than myself.  I just started with Linux/Mandrake Complete v7.0 from
Macmillin Software, about 2-3 weeks ago or maybe a month.  Not sure at
this point.  I do not know how to do any COMPILING or installing of any
of the software from the Linux side.  I do have some experience with the
installing of Linux/M because I wanted to learn as I went and find what
would work for me, if what I have learned can be of any service to others
then I try to respond with what I know works and with what HardWare.  NO
Linux/M is not to blame for all of the troubles some are having, neither
is the OPERATOR or the Hardware.  The one thing that is needed by any
that have a question is a little background on what you have as HardWare
and the error messages you received when your problem started or ended
your working.  These people in this group that are willing to HELP need a
little of the HELP from each that are asking so they can HELP you.  STOP
the BLAME game and use your head and expertise what ever it may be to ask
your questions and GO forward NOT backwards and complain.  These people
here are GOOD at what they do and are willing to HELP you so HELP them as
best you can.

my $5.32,

don
                    I thought I knew that I knew what I thought
                    But now I know that what I thought I knew
                    Isn't what I know I think I thought I knew.

On Sun, 9 Apr 2000 22:10:55 +0100 (BST) David Hugh-Jones
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> On Sun, 9 Apr 2000, Vic wrote:
>
> > Uh oh, I hope you don't have a trouble with some of
> > the hardware in the machine that your using.
>
> (snip)
>
> Hey, don't go blaming it on the hardware now. It's pretty clear that
> Linux
> is not an easy ride to install, no matter how stable it may be
> afterwards. Mandrake 7.0 seems pretty good to me (well, apart from
> trashing my Windows partition - do you think OS's suffer from
> sibling
> rivalry?)
>
> dave
>

> > On Sun, 09 Apr 2000, paul haine mewed:
> enough

> > > <snip>

> > > I understand completely...I've been trying to get various
> flavours of Linux
> > > to run on my machine for about half a year now - Redhat 5.2,
> 6.1, Suse
> > > 6.something, and Mandrake 7 is the first that's actually managed
> to make it
> > > to the end of the installation. And still, I get freezes,
> crashes - at least
> > > with Windows you sometimes get a chance to recover, but with
> Linux it just
> > > stops working, kaput.
> > >
> > > With this plus all the hassle having to configure every little
> detail
> > > yourself, I think Linux for me is just going to remain a toy OS
> for the
> > > forseeable future...

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.