On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, you wrote:
> In that case providing you saw my earlier post,
> you will know that I was a victim of script kiddies
> just this morning.
>
> Firewall time, off to read the howto's.

I have been following cable post as it's coming to my area soon. Security is a
big issue with it.  Following quite a few messages on it in a different area it
was suggested that a firewall will do little to protect you on a cable network.
The cable connection is acting like a bridge in most cases. A bridge does not
route packets, it passes packets from one interface to the other. Everyone is
sharing all the traffic of all nodes.  A router was suggested in between you
and the cable provider from one post. A little elaborate for just a simple home
network or computer user.

I don't have cable and have little experience with networking. I'm just
monitoring the messages on it to make a decision when the time comes if I want
to travel down that road. There is a big security issue with it that most don't
consider.  Be interested in hearing from others on the subject to get some
education on how best to handle it.