I have a Mandrake 7.0 install with some updated rpms from
cooker.  I have been having samba printing problems since
installing 7.0 and continuing since upgrading many related
files to cooker.

I find that I can connect to the samba server and get a list
of shares, which will list the printers I wish to use.  When
I set them up, using the SAME settings as I used to get the
list of shares (username, password, workgroup, server), I
cannot print.  Using printtool to set them up and test
print, everything is entered properly but nothing ever
results from trying to print the test pages.  I don't get
any error messages, nothing in my logs, nothing.  If I
try to simply print from the command line using "lpr
<filename>" nothing happens.  No error messages, no
printout.  If I try to check the lpq, nothing shows up.

I have been trying everything I can possibly think of to
fix this, changing permissions and ownerships on /var/spool/
lpd/lp and lp0 directories or the files contained therein.
Nothing works.

I have tried upgrading samba, lpr, printtool, DrakConf,
and all the associated/dependent files and nothing works.
No printing to samba shares.

Without error messages to guide from I don't know where to
start or what could be wrong.  If I use CitrixICA and print
from a windows session to the same shared printer...no
problem.  If I print from a Mac in the same office, no
problem.

Something is not right with the Mandrake default setup.  I
don't know if it is in samba, lpr, or where but this didn't
happen with Redhat 6.0 which I was running before switching
to Mandrake 7.0.  Can anyone give guidance as to where the
problem likely is?

patrick