This was happening on my previous computer (p233mmx, Octek mb, Stealth
3d 2000 video) along with installation hassles.  The probs went away
with my new mc (AMD K6/2-450, Via chipset, the old video card) and I
even found I needed to turn ON PNP Auto in bios to get a clean
installation with no hangs.  So the combination of mb, proc and
peripherals is important.

Bill.