From: duncan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2000 7:29 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [newbie] i cant start up a home network

I have a desktop and a laptop which i want to network under linux.
They both connect ok under windows and the network cards are both
recognised and functional according to lothar.

The problem i have is where next,using linux conf i have assigned names
and numbers such as

 desktop 192.168.0.1

 laptop 192.168.0.2

I am not getting the machines doing anything beyond this.

Have also installed vmware onto desktop machine and tried to host only
network it to linux using samba this too has been unsuccessful but maybe
i should crawl before walking.

It sounds easy if I could get into the part of linuxconf networking for
idiots that is described in the  help section on networking but it
doesnt sem to be there.

I am running mandrake 7.0

Thankyou duncan