Well in my way of thinking...the BIOS assigns Drive letters weather there is a
filesystem on it or not...changing the Windows C: installed drive to somewhere
else in the chain, will still produce the file not found errors because the
drive is now assigned Drive D or more, and the installed drive was previously
C:, depending on the chain
PM IDE=C  <--- of course drive letters will change with mulitple.....
PS IDE=D       partitions per drive
SM IDE=E
SS IDE=F
Now with modern BIOS's you can set to boot from A or C or D or CD-ROM or SCSI,
etc...using that may help the process...
But once Windows is installed to a drive...the Regisrty uses that as the path
to where the files are located.
HTH
Jaguar

Michael Holt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Actually, if you were to run to separate drives, and the first drive had no
dos partitions on
> it, Windows wouldn't even recognize it.  It would still call the second
drive 'C' (because
> non-dos partitions don't get a drive letter).  At least that makes sense in
my head, well
> that's another story.
>
> I've played with different configurations and it's hard to remember
sometimes what works and
> what doesn't.  Lilo has given me the warning in the past that the /boot
partition has to be
> before the 1024th cylinder, but I say 'ok' and it works anyway.  Right now
I'm using the BeOS
> boot manager (uninstalled the OS because at that time it didn't support my
vid card, but left
> the boot manager cause it works good) and it doesn't care where your OS is
installed.  At one
> time, I had 4 different OS's booting off of my primary drive; 1. WinNT 4, 2.
Win98, 3.
> Mandrake, 4. BeOS 4.5.
>
> This worked just fine with the BeOS boot manager booting all of them.
>
> Jaguar wrote:
>
> > Not true...the installed to Drive of ALL the software is set to C Drive,
ie:
> > path to files installed C:\office\word\blabla.exe
> > That is much more time consuming to change all the installed DIR's
locations
> > in Windows than setting up the LILO boot.
> > HTH
> > Jaguar
> >
> > Michael Holt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > How about switching your drives?  If you make Linux /dev/hda and
Windows
> > > /dev/hdb (make Linux your primary master and put windows on your
primary
> > > slave).  You shouldn't have to change too much, just the jumpers on
your
> > > Windows drive.
> > >
> > > I would like to say that I have two drives.  On the first (20GB) I've
got
> > > WinNT, Win98 and finally, Mandrake Linux.  On the second (13GB), I have
> > extra
> > > storage space for FAT32 and Linux.  This works great for me, I've never
> > lost
> > > any data.
> > >
> > > Mike

> > it