Emmette Hutchison wrote:

> how to I remove or stop using a desktop environment like gnome or kde?
> At this point I just want enlightenment running.
> (I'm assuming that I have to edit an x settings file somewhere, but I'm
> not quite sure where.)
>
> Emmette

To be able to stop using or to uninstall?

Assuming you don't want to uninstall, but just to stop using, the
following are my directions.

Read the documentation for both gnome and kde is the approach.

Go into the kde desktop and search through the Help documentation for how
to stop using kde.  I believe the command is something like "kde off" or
kde -off" or something like this, but haven't used it yet and therefore
don't remember the documentation accurately.

To your gnome is probably used on top of Enlightenment.  If this is the
case, then when in this environment, look through the desktop menus for a
source of documentation, or a switch or option to close the gnome portion.

If this doesn't help, then search the gnome and kde documentation
directories under or in the /usr/doc directory.

If you want to uninstall gnome and or kde, then you should read the
documentation on these, first.  To uninstall kde safely, you may need to
turn it off, first.  You may not need to do anything like that to
uninstall gnome, though.

However, if disk space isn't an issue, then I'ld suggest leaving gnome and
kde installed, at least long enough to explore Enlightenment.

mike