Manuel Castelao wrote:

> Is it possible to give write permission for other file systems (located
> in other Win95/DOS disks) to standard users, members of the root group?
> I have been trying without any success. As root I can move files from my
> ext2 disks to my Win95/DOS disks but as standard user it has been
> impossible. I had to use the superuser file manager.
> Manuel Castelao
+

Yes

As root, click on DrakConf->linuxconf->filesystems->local file
system
When the names are displayed, click on the one you want to
inspect and change it.  You will be given a tabbed dislog box of
options....

Make sure it is user-mountable
Make sure read-only is UNchecked
MAKE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that conversion is set to something other
than AUTO--no one has been able to get that one to work properly
yet  Recommend conversion set to binary.

Now for the hearty ones out there, you can do this

edit /etc/fstab and make the windows mount lines look like this

/dev/hda1  /mnt/WindriveC vfat
exec,user,nosuid,rw,umask=0,conv=binary  1 1

Of course the exact language may vary.  hda1 is the first
partition on the primary master IDE drive, hdb2 is the second
partition on the Primary slave, /dev/sda1 would be used for the
first partition on the first SCSI hard disk drive, and so on.

and /mnt/WindriveC  could be an empty directory on any mounted
filesystem.  In one case, for one user, I set up the mount point
as

/home/username/Desktop/Windows_files

and made the directory on the user desktop  (that's no longer
necessary in 7.0-2 since the DOS_hda1 icon is on the desktop, but
for my users, I renamed it to "Windows".)  They still have some
files there not yet converted.

Civileme