[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi ya - well here is my sad sad story
>
> I bought Mandrake 7.0 on Sunday, and I've been working on installing it
> properly since.  I've already ditched a class, and I'm going to not go to
> school again tonight, just so I can install linux.
hmmmmm. Bad, bad boy! :-)
If you're following informatic classes, maybe you'd better go to
school...

> My system:  12 gig hard-drive, Pentium II 400, 64 mb memory
>
> My problem:  so far I've only been able to install the whwhole thing once,
> and even then I couldn't get my KDE up.  Everytime I try to install it, I get
> a different patter of errors.  For example, I go through all the steps, and
> then when I try to create a boot disk it says it failed.  These are the
> following errors I get: can't find dumpkey, can't config timezone, can't find
> base packages or the system freezes all together. Can someone pretty pretty
> please help me.
If you made each time the same manipulation and got different errors,
maybe it's a hardware problem. (you should also specify your video card
when you describe your system)
If you didn't, please explain more clearly what you did and where the
errors did occur.
Also check that you have a 7.0-2 version (not a 7.0)

> The one time that I did get to finish my installation, I was able to get a
> graphical login. I logged in and all I saw was two screens, one being xterm,
> and the other I'm not sure about.  I also had a neat clock on the upper
> right.  I was unable to see the kde desktop.  In the manual it said if all
> went well I should see a kde desktop, so I figured all didn't go well =(
I suppose it's because you just didn't install KDE.

> I'll spend another 6 hours tonight, figuring it out - thanks in advance
Keep on trying, and remember that sometimes (nearly always), you better
take time to read the doc than blindly trying anything without knowing
what you are doing.
There are documentations about the installation on the CD.

HTH
Flupke