Try using the DrakConf icon on the KDE desktop.

Enter the root password when prompted. A GUI should pop-up showing a load
of packages that can be used to configure your system.

Select the printer configuration button. Another window called "Local
Printer Options" should appear. The queue name should be lp and the spool
directory should be /var/spool/lpd/lp. Press OK.

Another window will appear. Select the local printer button. Another window
will appear called "Local Printer Device". If your printer is on LPT1: then
the printer device is /dev/lp0. Press OK.

A window will then appear showing all the various printer drivers. I use
the "HP DeskJet 550C/560C/6XXC series" driver for my HP Desket 850C and it
works fine, even in colour. The "HP DeskJet/DeskJet Plus" driver also works
but only in black and white. I suggest you try one of these drivers. Press
OK.

A window will appear requesting more info eg. paper size = A4, eject page
after job = selected, fix stair = selected, color depth option = 32. Press
OK.

At the next window you can print some test pages in ASCII and PostScript to
see if your printer works. If the printer works then accept the settings
and exit.

If the above doesn't help you then maybe the info is useful to other people
trying to setup HP DeskJet 850C printers.

Cheers,

Dean.