On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Michelle Schneider wrote:

>I think I had to make sure mt-st was installed (maybe taper too, can't
>remember).
>
>Michelle
>
>> > insmod ftape
>> > insmod zftape

After trying to make something sensible out of this, I see that you own an
IDE tape drive, seagate.
Do not access it as /dev/hdd, that won't work.
It's device name is /dev/ht0  (h t zero)

I have not been able to run it with "kdat", I think that is meant for SCSI
Dat drives.

I backup with tar.

Syntax:

-c means: create new backup volume from start of tape
-v: be verbose (you can leave it off once you know things work ok)
-f /dev/ht0: backup to the IDE tapedrive
<dir>: a list of directories you want backed up

Good luck!
Paul

A gentleman is someone who remembers his wifes birthday
but not her age.

)0(----[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]-------------)0(
http://nlpagan.net - ICQ 147208
Registered Linux User 174403