i'm a newbie so take this for what it is worth but i have read that
X...4 only uses one server and not one of the selection available before
and that as a result the symbolic link that was probably made during
your previous install needs to be undone -before installing the new
version i think-

if you have run a configuration routine you have probably allowed it to
set a symlimk that it shouldn't, possibly it was a previous version of
the config program, i'm fairly certain that there is a newer version
with the new version of XFree86, yep i've just checked the files i
downloaded (not actually tried it yet) and there is a file:
Xconfigurator-4.2.10-6mdk.i586.rpm,
i guess you need this or something similar (this is from the download
from mandrake)

from your description i think this could be your problem, others are
free to put me right if i'm steering you wrong.

bascule