Can anyone please help

Have sane installed as far as kpackage is concerned but cannot do
anything with it from there.

Do I need to do something after the src rpm has been rebuilt.It says
inreadme go to top level directory and do ./configure then make and then
make install            But where is the top level directory?

I have also tried downloading the tar.gz versions of sane glib and gtk
but get problems with glib version not in path and so not recognized by
the gtk or sane during their attempted configure and make and make
install.

I m surely missing something fundamental.

PLease help before  I am insane.

Regards duncan Bayne