I'm doing some learning myself, and someone directed me to 'man gcc' and 'man g++'; that helped me a lot.
For a 'hello world' c++ program, save the file as helloworld.cpp then run 'g++ -o helloworld helloworld.cpp' (the first helloworld being the executable file that you want to create, the second file being the one that you are compiling).

Mike
when i type gcc in a terminal window i get gcc.colorgcc: No input files
I would like to be able to use the Gnu C++ compiler for a course in c programming
 and don't know how to get the darn thing to cooperate to where i can even do a hello world!
--
GIF87až