Hi Andrew.

Sounds very similar to something I once had... while being on the
command line, I typed "su" and then "startx", but unfortunately without
changing to the /root directory before. I logged in as root in my
/home/hellmut directory and when I tried to start X as hellmut the next
time, I got the same error message as you. I fixed it the following way:
I deleted the .XAuthority file in my home directory, started X (got some
error messages too) and ended X. Linux wrote a new .XAuthority file and
all went fine after that. When you are logged in as normal user and want
to be root and start X, don't use the "su" command, type "exit" on the
console and you'll get a new login screen. You can as well use <strg> +
<alt> + <F2>.
Hopefully this helps you.

--
            ,,,,,