I've been trying to get this SCSI card installed completely for a long time.  I am
just being introduced to Linux and only know how to navigate and edit files.  I don't
really understand the relationship between all the different conf files.  I really
need detailed instructions on how to do this.  I am using Mandrake 6.1.  I inserted a
Adaptec 2940UW SCSI controller connected to an AIWA Travan 20 Tape Drive.
1. When linux boots up, no SCSI host detected.
2. I entered "modprobe aic7xxx" Which seemed to have done something.  When I look at
the "dmesg"  I see that the Card is found and the tape drive as /dev/st0
3. How do I may sure it is working?  I entered "mt -f /dev/st0 status" and I get some
info on the tape drive.
4. However when I try any other tape command: mt -f /dev/st0 erase" or "mt -f /dev/st0
rewind"  I get the command line again and nothing happened.  I just want some movement
on the tape so I know it's working.
5. Can someone give me a bunch of commands to try.  This is a new tape, so I don't
care it it is formatted or erased.

6.  One other thing.  When the machine is rebooted, the module is gone and I have to
do the modprobe again.  Anyway of installing the module during bootup.  I tried
"depmod" but I just am not getting the command structure right. I don't quite
understand what all the options mean.  So if someone can help me out here also.

I appreciate any help for this newbie.

Pat