hi all,
i recently (last night!) persuaded a friend to install mandrake 7 (air)
because under redhat6.0 he could only get 640 by 480 x256 colours in X
using his creative voodoo banshee.

after install he is now getting 1024 by 768 in 32bit colour but the
delay between logining in (in X) and getting a desktop with icons is
about 90 seconds, in redhat it was about 5 seconds, for an amd k5 133
this was not bad. during this 90s delay there is constant hard disk
thrashing, the first time this happened i thought maybe it was due to
kde creating user settings etc. but the delay is there on subsequent
logins too.

perhaps related but i don't know how, is an error message that appeared,
very briefly, after the phrase 'entering second stage install' during
installation. i saw it only briefly but it said something like 'X11
transocket connect error' or something like that. however the
installation continued fine to all appearances,
but the mention of X11 seems relevant.

is there someway of 'tuning' the process(s) that occur when logging in?
i assumed that since mandrake was based on redhat there wouldn't be much
difference in performance, but i feel i have let my friend down after
telling him how easily mandrake installed on my machine.

if any one can accurately guess what the error message might have meant
i would be grateful as this might be a clue, in kde processes do seem to
take a long time on my friends machine but troubleshooting this  is
beyond my knowledge.

amd k5 133
32 mb ram
2gig hard disk space