marla wrote:

> Hi!..and sorry for my english..im italian....
> Just installed Mandrake 7, but i can login (and run) only text mode: i read
> a lot and i've tried  cntrl + f7 to go to graphic mode (KDE or Gnome i
> think), but screen became grey and nothing happened....so i tried to type
> (as user):
> cd KDE and this is what :
>
> execve failed for /etc/X11/X (errno2)
> -X11TransSocketUnixConnect:can't connect: errno 111
> giving up
> xinit: Connection refused (errno111):
> unable to connect to X server
>
> Can someone help me? Thanx!!!!!!!
>
> LauraM.

Sorry I don't have y machine or any manuals handy but here goes...

After you've logged in type "startx" without the " ".  This should start the X
server and KDE.  If this works then you need to change a file (sorry, I don't
recall which one) to tell LILO to boot into graphical mode (init 5 instead of
init 3).  I'm sure you can find the proper file and setting by checking the
archive here for "graphical startup"

If your screen is still turning grey and nothing happens then your Xserver is
not set up properly and you'll need to rerun the xconfig (I think) program.

--
Joseph S. Gardner
Senior Designer / Technical Support

Linux is like a wigwam...