i finally got my modem to work in mandrake!
i had foolishly assumed that because it worked 1 out 50 times at a slow
speed that it must have been set up properly but just not be compatible,
after all it had been lightning damaged and under windows i have to plug
things in at the exact moment and click buttons simultaneously and do
the whole shamanic thing just to get it to connect which when it does it
works fine.
however, i tried:
setserial irq 5
after looking up the info in windows and now it connects fine in linux
(still have to dance around it though),

the question is, while i look for a new modem, how do i get setserial to
automatically run on bootup?
according to the man pages i should be looking at /etc/rc.local and
/etc/rc.serial but there is no */rc.serial that i can find and rc.local
is under /etc/rc.d/, i examined rc.local and i didn't really understand
what it meant.

can someone point me in the right direction please

bascule