Hi List,

        OK, I know that I am the cause of this stumbling block and not Linux
Mandrake,
as I selected the 'incorrect' method during install. I chose the 'no
scsi devices' mode of installation.
        I have an icon on my KDE desktop for each of my, floppy, cdrom (DVD),
cdrom2 (CDRW)
and when I select any of them I get an 'error' message that says,

could not read /mnt/which_ever_icon_selected
file does not exist or access denied

         Although I am not currently using LILO (well sort of) this is what I
have in lili.conf;

boot=/dev/had5
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
vga=normal
default=linux
keytable=/boot/us.klt
prompt
timeout=50
message=/boot/message
other=/dev/hda1
        label=windows
        table=/dev/hda
other=/dev/fd0
        label=floppy
        unsafe
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda5
        append="hdd=ide-scsi"
        read-only

        When I execute dmesg, I get this;

ide_setup: hdd=ide-scsi

PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 21
PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
        ide0: BM-DMA at 0xb800-0xb807, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
        ide1: BM-DMA at 0x808-0x80f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
hda: Maxtor 91728D8, ATA DISK drive
hdc: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1202, ATAPI CDROM drive
hdd: YAHAMA CRW2216B, ATAPI CDROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hdc: ATAPI 32x DVD-ROM drive, 256kB Cache
Uniform CDROM driver Revision: 2.56
Floppy drives(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82977
md driver 0.36.6 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8
scsi : 0 hosts.
scsi : detected total.
Partition check:
 hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6 hda7 >
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly

hdd: driver not present

So, what ever do I do to rein my hardware in?
:)

Thanks for all your help.

b/web
Wade