The fact that you have to set a "serial" baud rate indicates that your ISDN
device is probably an internal card with an on board UART.

To effectively utilize the uart chips at higher speed you must set the baud
rate divisor properly.

By default Linux Max's it out to 56K unless told to explicitly do
otherwise... like this

#
#
# Speed up Serial Port
#
setserial /dev/ttyS1 baud_base 115200 spd_vhi
#

In the above case the port is COM2 = ttyS1. In addition Linux defaults to
TWO WAY authentication for PPP links. Linux might be trying to authenticate
your ISP!

Just as your machine authenticates itself to your ISP (via username and
password) Linux expects your ISP to do so to it. Windows does not.

You need to disable this by modifying chap/pap-secrets and using the
"noauth" parameters for PPP.

Lastly check your /etc/resolv.conf file. Linux may also be trying to process
it's own DNS requests instead of sending them up to the ISP's DNS servers.
Winblows does not do this... this is a plus not a negative, as you can have
Linux be it's own DNS server thereby giving you very quick DNS resolutions.

After connecting issue a few "nslookup" requests to check this out. See
which DNS nslookup comes up talking to. This may be at the root of your
problems (heh).

-JMS