Although I can operate my internal ATAPI-IDE Zip drive, at boot up I get the
message "fs type not supported by kernel".

I found this instruction somewhere about doing something to the kernel in
configuring it to recognize the drive.

"Do _not_ use the "IDE FLOPPY" option (officially the name is
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY ).  This will work perfectly for reading and
writing, but it will not work for ejecting.  What you need to do is say yes to
the option CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI.  When this is set, you will treat the IDE
ATAPI drive just like a SCSI drive, except without the SCSI card and all that
other garbage......"

Would anyone know what command/program I must run in order to access the above
mentioned options?

 Am running Mandrake 6.

Michael Coady