I have just installed mandrake 7.02. I am trying to get 2 things
happening.
1. get xscanimage working in gimp.
I installed sane through rpm on the cd. AS I undestand it I do not have
to compile or anything like that if I do it through the packet manager.
.I cando find-scanner and it finds my hp 5p scanner
I can run xscanimage from a console as root and it works. I cannot seem
to find the aquire image in gimp though. Have I missed out a step. I
installed gimp and the gimp lib off the mandrake cd through the packet
manager.

2. I cannot get xscanimage to work as a user other than root . I guess
this is due to a permission problem but I donot know whatpermissions to
change and where. This is the error message I recieve.

xscanimage: no devices available.

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkmain.c: line 534 (gtk_main_quit): assertion
`main_loops != NULL' failed.