As I have mentioned elsewhere in newbie, I have just installed a couple
of other "flavors" of Linux.  It helps one appreciate Linux-Mandrake.  One
can begin doing things more quickly with what Mandrake has put on the
desktop.
    I suggest, have RPMDrake ask if you want a desktop icon created during
install of RPMs, especially for such major programs as Word Perfect or Star
Office.  Supply easy to find (that is, easy for a disoriented beginner)
information about adding and removing desktop icons.  The sooner one can be
productive the more pleased with Mandrake they are likely to be.
    An excellent feature, for instance, is RPMDrake.  But a little
improvement would help some people.  When I have used it, I have occasionally
gotten an "install failed" message, followed by an "OK" box.  This is not
helpful.  A useful message would be good, perhaps naming an error-log file.
The RPM program is removed from the list of
RPMs not yet installed (and not replaced), so trying to install it again is
involved when it ought to be simple.  I have (re)installed Mandrake many
times (it gives a known starting place for traceing problems) and I think I
was rushing through the RPM installs: it hadn't completed one install and I
was feeding it the next, and it choked, a mistake a rank beginner wouldn't
make.  Usually beginners make mistakes experienced people wouldn't make, and
trying to think of all of the possibilities (for error trapping) is the
problem.

    Build on your strenth(s),
    address your weaknesses,
    Live long and prosper (?)