>On  1 Jun, wayne petherick wrote:
>> I am looking at upgrading to XF86 v4.0 and was wondering a few things.
>> First of all, is this release stable yet, and second, there are a few
>> version for Linux iX86 systems.
>>
>> Linux-alpha-glibc21/    17-Mar-2000 09:55
>> Linux-ix86-glibc20/     17-Mar-2000 23:25
>> Linux-ix86-glibc21/     26-Apr-2000 03:44
>> Linux-ix86-libc5/

Wayne, I got this from www.xfree.org:

XFree86 4.0 is now available. The documentation is available on-line.
Please read the README and Release Notes first. The distribution is
available from our ftp site. or from one of the mirror sites. Source can
be downloaded, but is not necessary for installing and using XFree86.
Pre-compiled binary distributions are available for most supported
platforms. Some of those binaries have been updated since the initial
release, and a list of those updates is available.

Before downloading and installing the binary distributions, please read
the Installation Notes carefully. This will help you download the correct
files for your system. If you're looking for a stable version of XFree86,
you might be better off with the latest 3.3.x release. There is some basic
information comparing the hardware support in 3.3.x with 4.0 in the driver
status document. Please check there to get an idea if your hardware is
supported in 4.0.

It seems to be stable enough, but it still lacks support for many video
cards, as it seems.

Paul

We cannot do everything at once
but we can do SOMETHING at once