i had the same problem with mandrake 7.0 not detecting all 128mb of my
system ram.. i tried to find information on how to add the append= line and
where in the lilo.conf file to add it and it was tough (it ended up being
put here:

image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hdb1
        append="mem=128M"
        read-only

before i installed mandrake i typed linux mem=128M at the boot: prompt and
it found it ..  you may want to try typing linux mem=256M at your LILO:
prompt and make sure that linux can read all of your memory before trying to
edit the /etc/lilo.conf file (cat /proc/meminfo is the command you would use
to show your memory information) .. if this doesnt work you probably do have
out of sync memory and you would need to follow hellmut's recommendation..
however, if i was you i'd try this step first before you run out and
exchange your ram :)

good luck

buckster
xoxoxoxo