Paul.....before you make a final decision visit this web site:

http://www.smartandfriendly.com/

I bought a former 'special of the month', the cdr-4012 and it
works just fine, both in win98 with the supplied software and
in Linux Mandrake 7.0 using the x-cd-roast software (works in
KDE) that came with Linux Mandrake 7.0.

My cdr-4012 came with an included adaptec 1505 scsi card (not
directly supported in Linux), but since I already had scsi
peripherals on my system I just plugged the CD-R into my
current scsi bus and away I went.  They also have ide's, check
out their 'outlet store' page (my cdr-4012 is still available
in there for $99).  Their prices include shipping and they
ship immediately.

Alan