No because on most COM ports if the system is initializing COM2 as a device,
it won't look for anything else, and since an external modem has it's own
communications board in it, it conflicts with the system set COM 2 and the
modem communications board in it.  It is typical to disable a COM port to stop
conflicts with some (read MODEMs)devices in paticular.

As for the Phoenix BIOS, I am pretty sure it is the DEL key to enter setup,
just look for a section about "PERIFERALS" or something like that, and find
COM2 and disable it.  MAKE DAMN SURE you only change the COM2 setting....if in
doubt exit WITHOUT saving.  It is probably a good idea to make a note of ALL
the BIOS setting now if you ever have motherboard battery failure.  And so you
don't lose the paper...fold it and put it INSIDE the case where it won't cause
any problems...:) but is available for reference.....
HTH
Jaguar

Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>knowing what brand of bios you have would be helpful
> too.  Award?  AMI?  Phoenix?  Other?<<
>
> It's a Phoenix, couldn't see a date or version number.
>
> And just out of curiosity, it just occurred to me:  if the modem is *on*
> COM2, how will disabling COM2 help?  Wouldn't disabling COM1 or 3
> perhaps be more sensible?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Murray

The Dogma chased the Stigma, and was hit by the Karma.

http://webmail.netscape.com.