Well, the problem is that I cannot load linux at all.
I have an emergency boot/rescue disk that allows me to
read/write my linux file system but the system has not
loaded linux from my hard drive in that case.  It is a
live linux file system loaded from the rescue cdrom to
RAM.  A ramdisk.

Aparently the MBR has been over written by win98 so I
need to reinstall LILO but I don't know how to do
that.  I can't find any descriptions of how to do that
anywhere and I don't want to re-install because this
seems like a completely recoverable situation.

Dacia