Dear friends:

I should have clarified: I tried to download 7.1, as I have done in the
past, by using a network boot image ON FLOPPY, and NOT by downloading an
ISO image. I repeat: I've been using a boot image of 7.1 on floppy.

It brings up the entire install process. The problem is that the
download stops at the "kpppload" file, no matter what option you select,
Custom or Expert, Normal (minimal - 300 megs) or just KDE. It stops at
mid-point (with hundreds of packages remaining on the server and with
the clock at mid-point) because that is where the first CD ends and
where you are supposed to insert the second CD. But no dialogue box or
warning or instructions are given at this point. The install process
thinks that the download is over and just skips to the next installation
stage and those that follow. You get a phony "Installation successful"
message when, in fact, you really have a thoroughly crippled
installation. By the way, if you were not monitoring the download but
went out to have a beer, you would never even know about this because
7.1 just skips ahead past kpppload to the next stage. So, you may think
your installation was a success when probably it is not.

By the way, now I hear that there are not TWO but THREE CD's involved.
Is that true?

The exact same phenomenon occurred to me (at the exact same point) at
both rpmfind.net and metalab.unc.edu

Has anyone figured out a solution for this? Has anyone succeeded in
actually downloading 7.1 successfully by FTP using a floppy boot image?

Thanks so much.

Benjamin

--
Benjamin and Anna Sher