A&L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> This is my first mail to the group.
>
> I successfully installed Mandrake 7.1 (my first adventure to the Linux
> OS!). My problem, however, is that I cannot access any website or
> download any email. I can connect and login to my ISP without any
> problem.
>
> For instance, if I type http://www.netscape.com, I get the error
> message that it cannot connect to this name server.
>
> What am I doing wrong? What do I need to do to access any website?
>
> Any help from any guru would be highly appreciated!
>
> Unfortunately, I am still using Win98 to get help :-(
>

> Thank you and best regards,
>
> Al
As root, use a text editor to open /etc/resolv.conf
edit, adding the following 3 lines:

search <your isp>
nameserver <dns#>
nameserver <dns#>

Your isp should provide you with the dns#'s
HTH,
Mike

"Always remember that I have taken more out of alcohol
than alcohol has taken out of me."
        --Winston Churchill

http://webmail.netscape.com.