Okay, per Paul's suggestion, I looked up the
man pages for xmodmap, the keymapping utility
and was successfully able to swap my <caps>
and <control> (left) keys. This is the steps
it took:

>From a terminal, create the file .xmodmaprc,

touch .xmodmaprc

Then, you can use vi, emacs, or in my case, I
just opened a window on my /home dir and dropped it on kedit. Enter
these lines:

!
! Swap Caps_Lock and Control_L
!

remove Lock = Caps_Lock
remove Control = Control_L
keysym Control_L = Caps_Lock
keysym Caps_Lock = Control_L
add Lock = Caps_Lock
add Control = Control_L

Save it, then add this line to your /home/username/.bash_profile file:

xmodmap .xmodmaprc

Save it, and you're ready to rock! ;-)

The Linux Cool Keyboard that I purchased from
tigerdirect.com already has the <caps> and
<control> (L) keys included with it for swapping
out...nice.

PS Don't forget you have to do this for both
your root and "regular" user account.