> Mark
>    When you say that Xconfigure dumped you out and shut down linux did
that
> occur when it was probing your vid card or when setting your screen res.
>
>    Charles

It did the same thing to me.  It occured when I was setting the Resolution.
So I just shutdown and rebooted using my boot disk that I made then typed
startx.  Then I ran Drakconf and went to change the Resolution and it
started trying to hit my cdrom.  I was enstranged at first but figured I'd
pop in the mandrake inst cd and see what happened.  Well it was cool cause
it restarted the configure x where it was left off and let me finish without
crashing.  Just to let you know my card is an ATI Rage Pro Turbo (I use the
ATI Mach 64 CT"something"  AKA 3d Rage) driver for it and it works well.  I
also have a 15'' CTX generic kinda monitor that I run at 800 x 600.