>Subject: Re: [newbie] ReiserFS with Automatic install!
>Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 19:32:13 +0200
>From: Piero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>On Sat, 17 Jun 2000, you wrote:
>>For anyone who would like to have the ReiserFS in 7.1, and at the
>> >sametime do the much easier automatic install, here's what worked for
>>me: >First select expert install, and when you get to where you setup your
>> >partitions, select ReiserFS as the filesystem type. After it formats the
>> >partitions, go back to the 'installation class' selection in the left
>>hand menu >and select automatic install. It'll skip the partition setup
>>since it was >already done (or you can just leave it as is and tell it to
>>NOT format >anything!) From there on it's an easy install, and you'll have
>>the ReiserFS to >boot!
>

>Which are the advantages of the Reiser Fiel system?
>
>--
>Piero
>------------------------------
>        Dr Piero Caracciolo
>        Ecole Normale Superieure
>
>....humani nihil ...

Hi Dr Caracciolo! The Reiser Filesystem handles improper system shutdowns
far better than does the (current) standard Ext2 filesystem.The improper
shutdowns, which of course can be caused by a myrid of things like power
outages or inexperienced Linux users' response to a crashed program or
frozen desktop. The way I basically understand it, the Reiser Filesystem
will usually pop right back up in situations that would cause a prolonged
FSCH and often filesystem damage under Ext2. It's a journalized filesystem,
as is the BeOS's filesystem. I've tested the BeOS's ability to recover from
all kinds of improper shutdowns - I basically got really abusive with it
just to see how much it could really take; I never managed to knock it down!
I'm in hopeful anticipation of the same type of stability with the ReiserFS.