On Sun, 18 Jun 2000, you wrote:
> Ok. Try running the hardware configuration from Darkconf. See
> if it detects your soundcard. Do you have sound in kde?

     Works fine.  I should have mentioned I have an ISA SB AWE64.
This is just my opinion, but I think it's fairly realistic.  All
the combinations (actually permutations) of motherboards/chipsets,
ram, cpu's, pci/isa cards, HDD's, etc.  It's amazing how much of it
any OS manages to get working at all.

    I've built every computer I've ever had (~10), and overclocked
'em. I tend to stay away from hardware that's just out, eg,
Athlon/VIA, any Intel motherboard other than a BX chipset (like
i8<whatever> ) and buy quality parts.  I'd never even consider
video/sound/modem/etc built into a motherboard. I rarely have
hardware related problems.  I also stay away from hyped up things
like AGP and ATA/66.  The performance increase they claim is mostly
smoke and mirrors, the system errors they can introduce can be
devastating. About all I'll say about ready mades (like Dell,
Gateway, etc) is I have a very low opinion about their quality and
versatility.

  I'm currently running a p3-450 at 608mhz, 256mb ram at 135mhz
cas2, pci voodo3 (oc'd to 178mhz in W98), IBM 7200rpm HDD's run on
ata/33 ..... no problems
--
~~   Tom Brinkman    [EMAIL PROTECTED]