|-----Original Message-----

Take the erro message quite literally.

As far as the module is concerned the resources it's trying to use for the
sound card are already in use by another device.

Your best bet is to REMOVE all of the existing sound related modules from
memory...

"lsmod" to view them
"rmmod sound"
"rmmod soundcore"
"rmmod mpu401"

etc.

Make sure you have the all out then edit /etc/conf.modules and again remove
any refernces to your sound card...

Once done exit from Xwindows and run sndconfig again.

It should first go thru the sound check, followed by the midi check.

If it does make it thru everything is now fine...

|I saw that Creative actualy has new drivers but are designed for Kernel
|2.2.5 and I have a previous one.
|
|Should I upgrade the Kernel to support the Creative Drivers? If
|not what can
|I do at this point to use the emu10k1 one?

Until you have things set up, don't upgrade. The stock installation is
easier to debug.

|#2) I am not able to get my ethernet card working. At least I think that is
|the problem. I see eth0 successfully initialize on boot up but when I do a
|"netstat -ni" all I see is lo. I am not able to ping anything, even the
|ethernet address of a directly connected box.

This might go hand in hand with your sound card problem...

It's quite likely that Linux wants to configure your NIC card to an address
your Eth0 card wants to use or vice-versa.

Linux does NOT necessarily use the same settings that Winblows uses.
Especially if PNP/PCI is disabled in the BIOS.

Often Winblows forces the cards to resources you have specified, while Linux
may not...

|It was suggested that I check to see if the loopback address was removed, I
|have not checked this yet.

If ifconfig only shows a device called "lo" it has not been removed.

|Not sure where to go with this one at all.

-JMS