Here's the deal.  I have a DSL connection that all the computers on my LAN
share.  We have an extra phone line that noone calls cause it used to be our
dial-up internet connection.  My brother is cheap and doesn't want to pay
for his own internet acount, so here's what we did in windows 2000.  His
modem dials mine and we get a pretty good connection(44K or better).  When
you open network neighborhood it looks like his machine is just another
computer on my network, so it gives him internet, file, and printer access
just like the rest of us.  Granted it is slower, but his connection is just
as functional as anyone elses hanging directly on the network.  The DSL
modem is on it's own port on the network and has it's own IP.  To connect to
the net I just set everyone's machine up to use the DSL's IP as a gateway
and it has worked beautifully.
How do I set up Linux on my machine to answer the phone when it rings and
allow him access to the network?  I have kept the IP the same for all the
OS's I boot to for ease of use, and have tried to simplify everything.  Do I
just set the machine up as an internet server, or what?  Do I use IP
forwarding?  When I set him up as a user, does he need to be a PPP user or a
general user?  Since it is a local call, alot of the time we'll just connect
and leave it connected for days, but since I've moved primarily to Linux it
renders my machine boring to me when he wants to go onto the web.  Maybe I
just have my head up my but, but I'm totally lost here.  I know it would be
easier if I had a another machine set up that I could dedicate to this and a
couple of other small tasks, but I'm still in the works on that, and I need
a temporary  fix.  Any help would be appreciated.